"Watch out for copperheads!! I..." Virginia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by meta4r

Virginia Warnings and Dangers: 24 reviews and 24 photos

Watch out for copperheads!! I was never afraid of snakes until the day a buddy and I were hiking the back way down Buffalo Mountain. We were power walking, fast. We were not on a trail but I knew the mountain as if it were my own backyard. I was leading and my buddy was about five feet behind me. I could hear him tromping through the brush so I never looked back. We were almost down and out of the woods when I didn?t hear him anymore so I turned to look. He was stopped, staring wide-eyed at the ground between us. I had just stepped right over a fat, five-foot long, coiled-up copperhead. The snake realized we were more than his match and quickly scurried away under some brush. We continued down and out of the woods but I took with me a newfound fear of snakes.
The next time I saw a copperhead I was up north on the Rapidan River camping with thirty or forty friends. Several of us were playing on the rocks in the river and were having a great time jumping, splashing, and sunbathing. All of a sudden Laina hollered, ?Hey! You guys! Come here!? and she pointed at a snake that had just caught a foot-long trout in the middle of the river. We watched the snake swim with the trout through the river, over the rocks, and into a small den formed by three or four boulders on the river?s edge. There it rolled over onto its back and turned almost white as it pumped more venom into the still struggling fish. After the fish ceased struggling the snake carried it farther into its den where it could dine in private.
My last copperhead story is different as I didn?t actually see the snake but I did see the effects of a snake bite. I was walking on the road above my house and my dog, Chunky, was on the path to the outhouse in the woods above me when I heard him yelp. I went to investigate but I didn?t notice anything.
I had chores to do so I went down to the house and started in on a mountain of dirty dishes. About ten minutes later Chunky came in and lay at my feet. I kept on working and he kept on laying there until it slowly occurred to me that there was something odd about him. I paused from my scrubbing to get a closer look. There was definitely something wrong with him. His snout was swollen out to the width of his ears and his right rear leg was twice its normal size.
I reckon he came across the copperhead and having never seen one before went up to give it a sniff and say hello. Then, when the snake bit him on the nose, he jumped straight up, spun around in midair, and landed just right for the snake to bite him again on the hind leg.

• Updated Aug 24, 2002

Comments

meta4r

“Travel near, travel far, you will never see it all.”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Virginia?