"County roads have no..." Virginia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by meta4r

Virginia Warnings and Dangers: 24 reviews and 24 photos

County roads have no centerline. Stay on your side of the road and drive defensively.

I wish someone had told me that before I drove there, but it all turned out for the best.

I was on my way out of town towards South Dakota and stopped at Crow's house to say goodbye. Crow said, 'good thing you're here, Dave is looking for some help planting trees.' A few minutes later Dave arrived and I followed him out to the planting site. We worked until late evening. The next morning I drove out to the worksite myself. I was almost there, Driving about thirty up the winding gravel road, came around the blind corner too far over and ran head on into Deputy Pratt in his new cruiser. Imagine what it feels like to run head on into a police car. What do you think he did?

He got out of his car and started laughing. It wasn't funny to me. It took all my traveling money to buy a new vehicle.

The upside was that when people asked who I was and I told them I was the boy that ran into the deputy, it turned me into a local overnight.

I was given a house to live in rent free, found a bunch of treeplanting jobs, and stayed there for ten years.

It worked out all right for me but please take my advice and keep to your side of the road!!

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“Travel near, travel far, you will never see it all.”

Ranked Member

Have you been to Virginia?