"Driving along Dyke Road in the morning" Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Favorite Tip by Carmanah

Richmond General: 3 reviews and 3 photos

The sunrise over Mt Baker along Dyke Road in Richm
by Carmanah

Fondest memory: My sister and I were enrolled in a French Immersion high school program, which put us in a school several kilometers away from where we lived. As a result, we relied heavily on being driven to school by our Dad. At the time he was teaching at the high school down the road from ours, so our carpool was very efficient.

One of my fondest memories of Richmond is taking the scenic route with Dad and my sister on our drive to school. While we'd normally take the regular fast route to school, whenever we'd have extra time in the morning, Dad would take the route that followed along the Fraser River. It would take 10 minutes longer, but it was worlds more scenic!

From Steveston, where we lived, we'd drive along Dyke Road - literally, a road that followed the perimeter of Richmond. As we drove east along Dyke Road, we'd follow the Fraser River and see the sunrise over the Cascade mountain range on the horizon. During the winter, the sun would appear to rise directly behind Mount Baker - a volcanic cone in Washington state.

The beautiful thing about the drive was that we got to see the Fraser River estuary in the morning, so there were often a lot of ducks, geese, and occasionally blue herons. Sometimes you could see the fishing boats leaving down river towards the ocean. Other times, we could see the bald eagle nests if we looked hard enough at the trees across the river.

What was also beautiful about this drive was that the other side of Dyke Road were farmlands, and in the morning they were often covered with a thin layer of morning fog. The smells in the air were fresh, and it was a beautiful drive to take in the morning on the way to school.

This picture was taken during a rare winter snowfall. Across the river you can see the sun rising over Mount Bake. It's a magical moment my dad captured on film.

• Updated Oct 19, 2005

Comments

Carmanah Was Born Here!

Carmanah

“You only live once!”

Have you been to Richmond?