"Gold and silver ? marvellous Roman art" Top 5 Page for this destination Speyer Local Custom Tip by Trekki
Speyer Local Customs: 25 reviews and 71 photos
Roman blacksmiths did not only manufacture silver kitchenware and dish plates, but also beautiful jewellery (again, given the early time, amazing pieces!). Much of these have been found in the Rhine and is now on display in the Museum of Palatine. The exhibits range from necklaces, bracelets, rings, hair decoration to clasps, which were used to hold the clothes together like buttons.
But also votiv deposits had been found in the mud of Rhine river. These were meant as a donation for rescue from distress. Some have been nailed on wooden pillars, some simply put into sand ? depending on the holy site where they have been deposited. Mostly they were made of thin hammered silver, plain or engraved.
One of these votiv deposits has the name of an Obelexxus engraved in. Maybe a hint that Obelix did exist ?
More Local Customs in Speyer (11)
More Reviews (64)
- See All Slow Food - Excellent And Delicious
- See All Very reasonable public transport fares
- See All Very good youth hostel - almost at the...
- See All Very good bookshop Osiander
- Please - watch your steps!
- See All The Seven Deadly Sins - Interesting...
- See All Excellent books about Speyer's cathedral
- Illuminated Buildings In The Evening And...
- See All Charming backstreets all over in town
- Very much tourist friendly = no traps
Trekki's Related Pages
Have you been to Speyer?Share Your Travels