"Wooden fetishes of Native Americans" Tubac Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1

Tubac Things to Do: 33 reviews and 161 photos

by matcrazy1

In some stores of Tubac I could see quite interesting, various items which were used by Native Americans as fetishes. I liked especially some wooden fetishes decorated with birds' feathers and skulls of small animals or deer antlers - see my pictures. They really looked exotic and mysterious for me.

Pueblo peoples crafted impressive items associated with their religious ceremonies. Generally I didn't like Kachina dancers but I liked some carved stone and wood fetishes which were made for religious use. let me explain that the Pueblo People are a diverse group of Native American inhabitants of New Mexico and Arizona who traditionally subsisted on agriculture. When first encountered by the Spanish in the 1500s, they were living in villages that the Spanish called Pueblos, meaning "towns". Later on during my trip I visited a few pueblos in New Mexico.

Address: Tubac, Arizona 85646
Directions: Take free map from Tubac - Santa Cruz Visitor Center located at the entrance to Tubac. Look for Indian art in Tubac shops listed here.

• Written Feb 17, 2007

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Tubac?