"Kachinas" Tubac Things to Do Tip by matcrazy1

Tubac Things to Do: 33 reviews and 161 photos

KACHINAS, TUBAC
    by matcrazy1

Oh, I had never heard this mysterious Indian word before I got to Tubac. In the first Indian store I noticed the writing "Navajo Kachinas" put by Indian colorful dolls of masked males or females which looked, excuse me, a bit kitchy for me.

I asked a shop keeper what Kachina was. Unfortunatelly I didn't understand everything she was fastly talking to me but I figured out that these
masked dolls had been traditionally made by Native Americans for some religious or spiritual purposes for hundreds years . Kachinas are presented to the women and children of the tribe and are kept in the home as an object believed to have supernatural powers.

Kachina also means supernatural entities or spirits capable of influencing the natural world. The men of the Indian tribe dress and mask to represent the Kachinas in traditional dances/ceremonies. Indians believe that such dancers actually become the spirits they represent for the duration of the ceremony. Even though there are male and female Kachinas, only men can represent them.

The Zuni or Ashiwi tribe from western New Mexico makes Kashinas of pine roots for own use not for sale. The Hopi tribe from northeastern Arizona makes Kachinas of cottonwood root both for own use and for sale.

Website: http://www.native-languages.org/kachinas.htm

• Updated Feb 16, 2007

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Tubac?