"Language - Arabic & French" Top 5 Page for this destination Marrakesh Favorite Tip by sue_stone

Marrakesh General: 142 reviews and 221 photos

Street signs
by sue_stone

Favorite thing: In preparation for my visit to Marrakech I tried to remember some Arabic words that I had learnt when I visited Egypt a few years prior. The only thing I could remember was 'La shukran', which means 'no thank you' - vital words required in cities such as Marrakech when you are constantly hounded to buy or look or follow!

So, besides that, I was a bit concerned about language issues during our stay, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that French was widely spoken, and that people automatically spoke to us in French, not Arabic. I can speak a smattering of French, and understand enough key words to get the gist of what someone is saying so we didn't have any issues.

Fondest memory: Almost all signs and menus etc that we saw were written in both Arabic and French (and sometimes English too) so that made life a lot easier, and we also found that most people we came into contact with spoke enough English for us to communicate. So don't worry too much about trying to learn Arabic - just brush up on your French and you will be fine.

• Written Feb 15, 2007

Have you been to Marrakesh?