Chowrasta Market, Penang Road: "Penang Local Specialty Food Products" Top 5 Page for this destination Penang Shopping Tip by SLLiew
Penang Shopping: 102 reviews and 116 photos
Chowrasta Market started up as a wet market in 1890 and the current building in 1920. So it has been an age old landmark of Penang Road (Jalan Penang).
What to buy: The front of the building is similar shops all selling Penang specialty food products like preserve nutmeg, famous biscuits like "Tau Sah Peah" and nonya type shrimp products in bottles and paste.
The back of the building is still a wet market selling vegetables and fresh meat. Upstairs are stalls selling textiles, clothes and used books.
Around the building, there are other food stalls as well as "Nasi Kandar" Indian Muslim restaurants.
Address: Jalan Penang (Opposite the Police Station)
Theme: Food and Drink
More Shopping in Penang (14)
More Reviews (207)
- See All Service Apartment in Batu Ferringhi
- See All Sam Poh Footprint Temple, Batu Maung
- See All Penang Famous "Curry Mee"
- "Titi Kerawang" Waterfalls
- See All Getting dizzy in the back seat
- See All Gurney Hotel hangout
- See All Penang State Mosque, Jalan Masjid Negeri
- See All Driving in Penang Island - challenging...
- See All Hiking on PWA water pipe trail
- See All Botanic Walk
- See All How to order food at hawker center
Been to Penang?Share your travels with the world!
SLLiew's Related Pages
Have you been to Penang?Share Your Travels