"Your biggest risk: Too much of a good thing" Australia Warnings Or Dangers Tip by tiabunna
Australia Warnings and Dangers: 237 reviews and 225 photos
Many visitors to Australia are drawn by the sunshine, so there?s a good chance that?s at least partly what interests you. There?s a trap though, in the endless sunny days. If you couple them with the high elevation of the sun and the clear atmosphere, the result is that you?re exposed to quite extreme levels of solar radiation. So a few uncomfortable facts:
* Depending on your skin type (northern European is worst) you can get very uncomfortable sunburn, leading to peeling skin, from just half an hour?s exposure to the sun ? if you do not have some sun protection.
* Australia in general, and Queensland in particular, has the world?s highest incidence of skin cancer. OK, the effects tend to be cumulative with time, but about 300,000 skin cancers are diagnosed yearly and exposure to the sun is the main cause. Skin cancers don?t show up until years later, but lead to over 1200 deaths a year in Australia. For comparison, Australia has about 1600 road fatalities yearly (one of the world?s safest). The message in the second photo is meant to be taken far more seriously than it may appear!
More Warnings and Dangers in Australia (6)
More Reviews (24)
- See All Driver Reviver Stations
- See All Brisbane ? Capital of Queensland
- See All Getting around cities and surrounding...
tiabunna's Related Pages
Have you been to Australia?Share Your Travels