"Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus" Top 5 Page for this destination Street Scenes, Sights, and Art Tip by Airpunk

Street Scenes, Sights, and Art, Rotterdam: 83 reviews and 141 photos

Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam
by Airpunk

Known as Erasmus of Rotterdam, this humanist of the 15th and 16th century is the most famous person connected with Rotterdam. His works are seen as far ahead of his time, especially regarding his thoughts on tolerance and acceptance of other religions and cultures. Erasmus had a large influence on what later would be called the Protestant Reformation. Although he lived only for a short time in Rotterdam, he added the element ?Roterodamus? (of Rotterdam) to his name, making himself the city?s most famous child. One of his most famous quotations goes like this: ?When I have money, I spend it for books. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing?. Some 500 years later, a bloody tourist picked it up, altered it and used it for his own purposes. Other honours include the Erasmusbrug, Erasmus University and Erasmuslijn (metro line). Also, the student exchange program of the European Union was named after him.

The statue of Erasmus is the oldest statue in Rotterdam. It was revealed in 1622, replacing an older, wooden one. The statue stood on several places in Rotterdam after finding its current place in front of the Sint Laurenskerk.

Directions: In front of the Sint Laurenskerk, in the eastern part of the city center

• Updated Feb 10, 2007

“When I have money, I spend it for travelling. If I still have some, I spend it for food and clothing...”

Have you been to Rotterdam?