"Amsterdam's "Least" Friendly (and they mean it)" Hans Brinker Hotel Tip by flyingscot4

Hans Brinker Hotel, Amsterdam: 1,092 reviews and 7 photos

Amsterdam is a super city (see my Amsterdam page in progress), and I truly enjoyed myself. It has to be my favorite walking city in the world. In fact, next time I go I will take my life in my hands and rent a bike. My ONLY negative comment about the city is in regard to the Hans Brinker Budget Hotel AND that I actually stayed at the place on 3 different occasions (probably afraid that the next one would be worse). I was first directed there by the TI at Centraal Station. I was given a regular dorm room (I think it was an 8 bed room), which had 8 metal bunks. One of the bunks was missing a mattress which seemed odd until I found that one of the guests was using 2 mattresses. I wish I had followed his example. The bunks had a metal bar under the spring that was inescapable. One of the other guests said that I would get used to it. I didn't, and still can't believe that I went back there on 2 other occasions. The hostel prides itself on having the most unfriendly staff, and there they do not disappoint. In fact, when I asked about a particular place I wanted to go, the staff member said, "I told you once yesterday. Now you have to find it yourself." I thought she was kidding. She wasn't! Some of the staff were much better (I have to remind myself). The rooms and bathrooms (ensuite) were not spotless, but not dirty either. Sheets were included but towels were extra.

Not everything was negative (depending on one's point of view). The breakfast (included) was pretty standard (bread, jam, cereal, lunch meats and cheese, etc., but they did have peanut butter. You could order eggs and bacon for an additional charge and they didn't seem to mind if you made a sandwich or two for your lunch. The meals were pretty good and the portions were large. The cigarette smoke wasn't too bad. The bar was open until 3:00 AM and there was lots of activity all night.

All in all, if you're looking for a party hostel and don't plan to sleep, the Hans Brinker is for you.

Unique Qualities: Good party hostel. If you are looking for a place where you can have a good time and pass out, this is for you. That way you won't notice the bed until you wake up at noon. Check out their website for information and ambiance, especially the cams.

Address: Kerkstraat 136-139, Amsterdam 1017 GR
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Southwest side of city. Easy tram connections.
Phone: +31 20 622 0687
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hostel
Website: http://www.hans-brinker.com

• Updated Jan 31, 2007

Comments

flyingscot4

“"Each one reach one; each one teach one." Blackhawk”

Have you been to Amsterdam?