Ida Davidsen: "Danish, Danish, Danish" Top 5 Page for this destination Ida Davidsen Tip by Sjalen

Ida Davidsen, Copenhagen: 6 reviews and 5 photos

Having worked just around the corner from it for four years, I finally thought it was time to drag some colleagues across for lunch, seeing as we are constantly stopped in the square outside by Americans, asking for directions to this famous smorrebrod place which is now into the fifth generation of family ownership and frequented by the royal family. We were not dissapointed. Sure, one colleague spent her entire mortgage on a crab sandwich but hey, the crab was flown in from Alaska that same day and tasted divine and the rest of us ate for more moderate prices, considering where we were.

You enter through the little downstairs door, behind some white curtains revealing nothing, and are met by a glass counter packed with delightful smorrebrod. You go to the counter and the staff behind it happily tells you what is on each smorrebrod as was it their babies! You pick 2-3 depending on hunger and budget and it is then served at your table later. I picked a seaweed caviar and egg variety and a fried herring one, whilst one of my colleagues had salmon and wasabi rolls on hers but if you're not into fish there is roastbeef and lots more. Our waitress was an elderly lady who looked as if she has worked there since her career started and she was so Danish it was almost like a joke about Danes! She had a clever answer to whatever we said, such as when we declined coffee with our dessert and was met with "but maybe you'd like port...or some other fun" :) As I said, it's not a budget place - the Queen gets takeaways - but it is ultra Danish and soooo yummy.

Favorite Dish: What is NOT a favourite? I'll come back here once a month and try it all :)

Address: Store Kongensgade 70, København K
Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Kongens Nytorv metro. Then walk along Store Kongensgade on the right side.
Phone: 33 91 36 55
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Local
Website: http://www.idadavidsen.dk

• Written Jan 27, 2007

Comments

Sjalen Works Here!

Sjalen

“Use your brain - go by train”

Have you been to Copenhagen?