Marche: "Randolph Street-French prix fixe-CLOSED" Top 5 Page for this destination Marche - Closed Tip by Dabs

Marche - Closed, Chicago: 5 reviews and 13 photos

An absolute shock to see a closed for good sign in the window (June 2010), Marche has been a fixture on Randolph Street for 17 years. With the closing of Marche and later next month of Brasserie Jo, Chicago is running out of French bistros

Marche has a fabulous deal on Mondays and Wednesdays, a $28.95 Three Course Prix-Fixe Dinner, choose ANY appetizer or salad, ANY entree and ANY dessert. My entree by itself was $34.95 on the regular menu! They also have a prix fixe menu for lunch, $18.95 for the same deal, Monday-Friday.

Marche is located in a former warehouse district, the interior is done up in a circus of bright colors but it's clearly a renovated warehouse. The bathrooms, at least the ones for the ladies, are a must visit for the over the top decor.

My last visit was on a Friday evening in late November 2009, the restaurant was not at all busy when we arrived at 6:30, when we left about an hour later, there were more people but still nowhere near full. I assume a lot of people come here for the prix fixe on Monday and Wednesday. Groupon and the 3 O'Clock Club have had $25 off certificates recently so we used them to dine on a Friday night before heading to the nearby Palace Theater.

Service is usually very attentive and at the right pacing for an enjoyable meal.

Favorite Dish: I've tried quite a few of the entrees, on prix fixe night I go for the Marche ribeye, the last three visits I've had the steak frites with bearnaise sauce ($18), prepared correctly and very tasty. I usually get the French onion soup to start which is very good with lots and lots of cheese. I didn't save room for dessert and even ended up with enough to take home some leftovers. On the last two visits the hubby got lamb shoulder ($25) which he enjoyed and the croque madam ($7.95) which was burnt, he should have sent it back but they did take it off the bill when he mentioned it. He also got a side of macaroni gratin ($6) which is a fancy way of saying Mac and cheese. Cocktails are on the expensive side here, I think they were $13 each.

Every so often we try dessert, the chocolate chip bread pudding ($9) is not something I'd order again.

Address: 833 W. Randolph
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Randolph Street restaurant row, just west of the expressway (90/94). Free street parking is available or the restaurant has valet service
Phone: 312-226-8399
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 4
Theme: French

• Updated Aug 1, 2010

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?