East African Palace: "Ethiopian Food" Ottawa Restaurant Tip by oceania26

Ottawa Restaurants: 248 reviews and 367 photos

This was my first crack at Ethiopian food and it was actually quite nice but there's a very distinct spice that's in all the dishes. It reminded me a lot of Indian food and call me biased but I only like one type of Indian food, Punjabi. I don't like South Indian or Singaporean Indian food because of the spices and this sort of reminded me a bit of that but not quite.

I had the combination platter which was $12.50 plus tax that had 3 different types of lentils, turnips, beef and a chicken leg on injera (cold Ethiopian bread, that looks a pancake or crepe). It's served in basket on a huge plate...actually more like a tray. They also bring more injera in case you finish the 2 big pieces they give you.

The have African decor and music. Friendly staff, pretty cheap prices as well.

A few doors down there's Horns of Africa which is pretty popular but smaller. I actually went there first but was turned off by the service. First I had to wait in the middle of a crowded room for a host or hostess but no one came, the waitress instead waved me down. When I asked for a table she turned her nose up and looked hesitant to give me a table because there was only 1 available (that seated 4) and it was only me. I wasn't too impressed with that and decided to go to this place...good thing because I couldn't chose which one to go to but this made my decision for me.

Favorite Dish: I would say get the combination dish if it's your first time. There's lots of vegetarian/vegan choices.

Address: 376 Rideau St
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: It's a good 10-15min walk from the downtown core.
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 3
Theme: African

• Written Jan 24, 2007

Comments

oceania26

“Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi”

Have you been to Ottawa?