"Visit the Castle District at..." Budapest Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

Budapest General: 519 reviews and 835 photos

Favorite thing: Visit the Castle District at sunset for the perfect lighting and reduced crowds.

Fondest memory: Budapest presented a crossroads on my trip. I had spent a fun party weekend with newfound friends in Munich, been escorted around Slovenia for three weeks of hiking and wine/beer tasting, and taken into a real home to live as locals in Croatia. I had not spent much time alone. Croatia, in particular, had been almost too much companionship, and as I left for Budapest on the train, I heaved a small sigh of relief that I would finally have some time to myself. Goran had arranged for a friend of his in Budapest to reserve a room for me and though it was not a bad price, the location did not seem ideal. This was the first time that I arrived in a city without someone to meet me so it seemed a good idea to have this chore done but when I got off the train, I was met by a few touts offering rooms. I pushed through them, saying I had one already but one small framed woman?s demeanor cut through my guard and I found myself listening to her. She had a place, so she said, right in the center, and when I told her the price I paid, she naturally gave me one for less. She would take me there to check it out, under no obligation. I looked on her map and it was indeed a better location, and the price was better. What could I lose? We took the Metro together and soon found ourselves at her place, just a stone?s throw from the river and right in the center as she promised. The place was fantastic, a whole flat all to myself, with TV, private bath, even a fridge if I wanted to use it. I said I would take it despite feeling guilty about the trouble that had gone into arranging my other room. I explained I had to go to the back to change some money so I could pay and she accompanied me there and on our return, I noticed a hairdresser?s shop and said I needed to get my hair cut. She said they would not speak English so she took me in, and explained what I wanted done, and took her money for the room. Back in ?my? place, I relaxed with my new freshly cut hair, and enjoyed just having a place to myself. I?d landed on my feet, as I always did, knowing I was a traveler who could get what he needed when the time came.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to Budapest?