"Compact Walking Tour in the City Centre, Part 1" Top 5 Page for this destination City Center Tip by Kakapo2
City Center, Christchurch: 130 reviews and 164 photos
Sorry that you find this walking tour split up in two tips. This is from the time when we could fit only 2000 characters into one tip.
If you have limited time I suggest a walk in the city centre which passes great places. You can just have a look or spend hours, though...
Start: Cathedral Square
- Visit the cathedral and the tower for a great view over the city. If you have no time for a visit to the wildlife parks take the chance to "meet" a kiwi (bird) at the Southern Encounter/Aquarium. The entrance is beside the Pathway Souvenir Shop, just some steps from the Visitor Centre and Starbucks Café, in the old Regent's Theatre building (building with the creamy white domed tower).
- Walk around the left side of the cathedral. Turn left into a mall named Cathedral Junction (cafés, shops, tramway). Cross it. Across the next street (Gloucester) starts New Regent Street, Christchurch's most picturesque street, with its pastel blue, green and yellow facades in Spanish Mission Style. Best photos when the tramway passes... ;-) Do not miss to have a look at the tons of teddybears in the Inkwell Giftshop.
- Turn left at the end of New Regent St into Armagh St, cross Colombo St and visit Victoria Square. (If you feel hungry in Armagh Street, pop into the Copenhagen Bakery, they have the best bread - European style - in Christchurch, and super delicious cakes and Award winning pies, and, and, and... And it is not expensive at all. Long but fast dissolving queues during lunch time.)
- From here stroll along the Avon as described in my extra tip and have a look at the Harry-Potter-film-like Provincial Chambers, the Kate Sheppard Memorial etc.
- Turn right into Worcester Blvd., walk along the tramway line. At the next intersection you have the new Art Gallery which is worth a visit.
Address: City Centre
othercontact: Brochures + free maps at i-site
More Things to Do in Christchurch (65)
More Reviews (178)
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Christchurch Heroes
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Been to Christchurch?Share your travels with the world!
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Explore the World
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels
More Things to Do
Latest Christchurch hotel reviews
- Chateau on the Park Christchurch
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Stonehurst Accommodation Christchurch
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 19, 2011
- Hotel So
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 2, 2013
- Lorenzo Motor Lodge
- 223 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Copthorne Hotel Central Christchurch
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Charlie B's Backpacker
- 18 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 18, 2010
- Vagabond Backpackers
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- CentrePoint on Colombo
- 487 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Cokers Backpackers & Budget Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2010
- Huntley House Christchurch
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Copthorne Hotel Durham Street
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Chester Street Backpackers
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- New Excelsior Backpackers
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 22, 2011
- Crowne Plaza Christchurch
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- Roadrunners Guesthouse
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2010