"Out to Sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Acadia National Park Things to Do Tip by goodfish
Acadia National Park Things to Do: 116 reviews and 211 photos
Recommended: take a trip on the ocean. While there's tons to do on land in the Acadia area, there's as many things to do on water. Most of the villages and islands in the area are lobstering/fishing communities and the ocean is a vital and historic part of the local culture.
Among the many options are:
1. Sea Kayak Tours (Coastal Kayak Tours - 207-288-9605 +other resources)
2. 2 hr. cruises on the 4-masted schooner, Margaret Todd (shown in the pix) - 207-288-4585, www.downeastwindjammer.com
3. Whale watching, puffin and/or lighthouse cruises on a huge, jet-powered catamaran - 207-288-2386, www.whalesrus.com
4. Ferry from Bar Harbor to Schoodic Peninsula (Winter Harbor) - 207-288-2984, http://downeastwindjammer.com/cruises/bar-harbor-ferry/
5. High-speed passenger/vehicle catamaran service to Nova Scotia - catferry.com
6. Ferry service to the Acadia section of Isle au Haut - http://www.isleauhaut.com
7. And my favorite, the Beal and Bunker mailboat to the Cranberry Isles - will cover this in my Islesford pages.
Choose your preferred option based on interest, cost, amount of people you'll be with (the whale-watching boats carry a LOT of people), and time that you have (The Cat to Novia Scotia and back requires a full day and a passport). Reservations are probably a must during high season, and take your seasickness remedies along if the ocean is rough.
A note on the Margaret Todd: this lovely schooner is poetry in motion when she's in full sail. Look for her from the Bar Harbor waterfront as she's leaving or returning to dock.
Address: Mt. Desert Island - multiple resources
More Things to Do in Acadia National Park (21)
More Reviews (23)
- See All For Chocoholics
- The Mail Boat to Little Cranberry
- See All Ugh! A bug!
- See All General info about the park
- See All For the Wee Folk
goodfish's Related Pages
Have you been to Acadia National Park?Share Your Travels