"Music scene" Top 5 Page for this destination Asheville Local Custom Tip by matcrazy1

Asheville Local Customs: 25 reviews and 71 photos

ACCORDION PLAYERS AT REST, ASHEVILLE
by matcrazy1

Asheville is famous for its lively music scene and compared to New Orleans, Nashville or Memphis in travel literature. Well, there are musicians who come to Asheville mainly from the North in search for career and job. But the three previously mentioned cities offer more for fans of live music, I think.

I saw a few bands or just couples with their instruments strolling around downtown and I could hear two guys playing on accordions and singing. Although I am a dedicated fan of saxophone not accordion these guys played interesting and lively folk music.

One more thing. I asked at the Mountaineer Inn where I stayed what are the most famous bands or musicians based in Asheville. The guy didn't know any except the heavy metal (not my favourite music style) Sanctity band and the Mad Tea Party (indie-folk). But the one medium-age visitor recommended me to listen to CDs of
David LaMotte (folk music, acoustic guitar) who lived close to Asheville and used to play in downtown bars or Chuck Brodsky (humorous and political lyrics). I noticed all above names but then forgot to buy any CD of LaMotte or Chuck Brodsky in Asheville :-(. If I had more time I'd try to find and hear them live.

othercontact: http://www.chuckbrodsky.com
Website: http://www.davidlamotte.com

• Updated Jan 18, 2007

Comments

matcrazy1

“Keep smiling, take it easy :-)”

Have you been to Asheville?