"Pols are very good mechanics" Top 5 Page for this destination Poznan Local Custom Tip by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Poznan Local Customs: 9 reviews and 14 photos

Poznan - Lada 21 111 with broken starter
by Kuznetsov_Sergey

It was impossible until recently to pass Poznan without waiting in automobile jams. As a rule cars and lorries were stopping in huge jams near Poznan. Such a jam in 2000 spoiled the whole day.

First cars were slowly moving, but when they finally stood still, my wife Irina who was driving muffled the motor. At the attempt to start the car, she found out, that it was not get started. We rolled away the car manually on a roadside trying to understand what had happened. The starter and the system of electronic ignition were suspected in fail.

Later we came to conclusion, that we couldn't manage such malfunction without any help and consult. Poles who were driving by told us that somewhere nearby there was a repair station.

I went to search it and found a small workshop. I explained the owner our unfortunate circumstances, fortunately he understood in Russian. He promised to repair our car and together with his assistant (as it appeared, with his son-in-law) on a minibus we went to a place of breakage. The malfunction was defined - the starter had given up. By country roads, passing the damned jam, we arrived to the workshop.

The owner of the workshop removed the starter and began the repair. We were waiting in a room at the workshop, drank coffee and relaxed a little. Under any circumstances it's rather badly when the car brakes down. In another country - it's absolutely unpleasantly. I went to look at the process. The Pole showed me the starter with the charred brushes and asked even an hour to arrange them somehow. Soon the repair came to its end, and I was convinced of working capacity of the starter.

In comparison with the importance of our problem, the price of repair seemed symbolical - a hundred zlotys (twenty five dollars). The Pole assured us, that the starter would precisely work two weeks, and returning home, he advised to replace it nevertheless.

We were very grateful to this Pole who could repair the Russian car by improvised means.

• Updated Feb 11, 2007

Comments

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Have you been to Poznan?