VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"A very safe place." Top 5 Page for this destination Madaba Warnings Or Dangers Tip by antistar

Madaba Warnings and Dangers: 5 reviews and 0 photos

Jordan is a very safe country, and Madaba is one of the most relaxed, tolerant and safe cities in Jordan. There are no beggars, no touts, and no hassle of any kind. The only real problem I experienced was that I stood out clearly as a stranger. A few people, mostly children, were genuinely shocked to see me. The usual reaction was to stop and stare or shout "hello!" with a big smile, or the same in Arabic, "salam aleikoum!"

Unfortunately for my initial impressions of Jordan and the city of Madaba, the first thing said to me after I left the hotel was "*** you", but it proved to be the only bad thing said to me in my entire week there, and I don't think I've heard the words "welcome" and "you're welcome" as often in my entire life as my trip to Jordan. People all over are very friendly, and guests are treated with great respect. The country is right next to Palestine, however, and has many Palestinian refugees in the country, so there might be some resentment of Westerners, but it is rarely shown.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars