"Wandering On My Own" Top 5 Page for this destination Khajuraho Favorite Tip by keeweechic

Khajuraho General: 22 reviews and 41 photos

Favorite thing: After an hour I was awake and bright as a button, feeling a lot better and ready to take on the town of Khajuraho. The hotel, as lovely as it appeared, was right out in the middle of nowhere. Much to the amazement of the others I was with, I was prepared to walk into town and do some quiet solo investigating. Instructions from the hotel was to turn left out of the hotel and walk to the corner, turning right in the direction of the town. However previously our bus had gone right into town so in case I had been misunderstood I decided to take the route of the bus and turn right. It was 39C in the early afternoon and enroute on this quiet country road I was only occasionally passed by the odd motorbike or small rattley old truck. Stares of course were by this stage not even given a second thought although after walking a good half an hour or more I was beginning to think that maybe this was not the smartest idea I had had especially after being approached by 3 youths on a motorbike saying they would like to be my friend then added, more than a friend. After waving them off with a dismal, they disappeared. This was indeed countryside. The land was flat with rocky outcrops in the distance. Water buffalo wallowed in small pools of water while cows slept off the effects of the heat of the day. Finally to my relief, as I rounded a corner, I saw the tops of the temples and the beginnings of the town.

• Written Jan 6, 2007

“Travel is the greatest eye opener you will ever get.”

Have you been to Khajuraho?