Original Sin: "Delectable & far off the beaten path" Original Sin Tip by truesally

Original Sin, Singapore: 2 reviews and 0 photos

My guidebook did not adequately represent Holland Village - I expected the "village" to be more old world with quaint shops and cafes. Not so, at least immediately. Off the bus, everything looked like the same old shopperama. However, after wandering to find Original Sin, I stumbled on a back alley atmosphere of funky shops and restaurants. THIS is what I was looking for! It is set back from the road (which isn't at all busy anyway) with inside & outside seating. Everything is rustic tile and wrought iron, cool but not terribly comfortable.

The food is very vegetarian for sure, and I am not that girl. Still, there were plenty of tasty-sounding options, and they offered a set lunch with soup/salad, sandwich, dessert and drink.

Waitstaff was quite pleasant and kept up with my water refills. The prices were about what you would expect at a nicer restaurant in Singapore - my pizza was about $17US and I took half away for lunch the next day. I think the set meal was around $20US.

Apparently this place gets crowded in the evening - it does have a secluded, romantic air and seating is rather limited. It was not busy for weekday lunch...

Favorite Dish: The pizza was quite delicious - 8 slices, 2 each with different topping combinations. Generous amounts of cheese - goat, feta, something smoky - and kalamata olives, red peppers, artichoke hearts, something like green beans or asparagus (?), cilantro, on a thin hand-tossed crisp crust. It might have been baked in a stone oven. I loved it for two days :)

Address: Block 43 Jalan Merah Saga, #01-62
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Buona Vista MRT stop, then bus to Holland Village (can't remember the number!)
Walk away from the big grocery store, past the post office, toward Chip Bee Gardens

Phone: 65/6475-5605
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Vegan/Vegetarian

• Written Jan 4, 2007

More Restaurants in Singapore (1)

Comments

truesally

“seize the day”

Have you been to Singapore?