"See the Rare Birds at Kilauea Lighthouse" Kilauea Lighthouse Tip by AKtravelers

Kilauea Lighthouse, Kauai: 19 reviews and 42 photos

Kilauea Lighthouse stands above the fray
by AKtravelers

Kilauea Lighthouse used to be an important navigational beacon for ships plying the north Pacific but it is now just as important as a refuge for some of the remaining members of two endangered species. Now a federal wildlife refuge, the peninsul protects the nesting grounds of Laysian albatrosses and nenes. Kilauea Point is also home to many other seabirds as well, such as boobies, frigates and shearwaters. During this visit, I saw my first nene, a flightless Hawaiian goose whose survival on other islands is threatened by the mongooses introduced by farmers hoping to eradicate rats (a futile effort made worse by the fact that the mongooses were diurnal and the rats nocturnal!). During our last visit, we saw two Laysian albatrosses within 10 feet of us.
Of course, there is also a lighthouse here, which is no longer operational. About 100 years old, it at one time had the largest of some particular type of light that I didn't bother to remember. The lighthouse ceased manned operation in the 1970's.

Review Helpfulness: 3 out of 5 stars

• Written Jan 1, 2007

Comments

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Kauai?