"Oak Hill Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Off The Beaten Path Tip by WheninRome

Oak Hill Trail

Oak Hill Trail
      Sylvan Pond
      Trail Marker
    by WheninRome
      Woodpeckers did this to a dead tree.
      Deer Rub on a Sapling.
    by WheninRome

The Oak Hill Area of the CVNP is the most remote/has the least roads of anywhere in the park. I find this to be much nicer than the Old Carriage Trail that often meanders within eyesight of people's backyards.

The Oak Hill Trail is a 1.5 mile loop that connects with the Plateau Trail (a 4.9 mile loop) in many places. The trail starts through an area that was previously farmed and is now reverting back brushy and immature forest. About a half mile into the trail you begin to encounter more mature woods just before arriving at Sylvan Pond - a couple acre manmade farm pond. After Sylvan Pond the woodlands are pretty mature - mixed hardwoods with occasional groves of pine.

The trail surface is a gravel/dirt mixture and the topography is pretty mild. A few small hills, but nothing very extreme. It is rated easy by the Park Service. Personally, I prefer all dirt trails because I find the gravel to be somewhat noisy and intrusive. On this trail much of the gravel has been worked in to the soil so it isn't too bad.

I did this hike after work as the sun was setting. While finishing the last half mile I heard an owl hoot five times, about one every two to three minutes. What a soul stirring, yet somewhat lonesome sound. I also heard a woodpecker working on a dead tree looking for insects. It was a beautiful evening.

The hike took me about 45 minutes. I walked at a very brisk pace; however, I hiked an additional half mile over a section of trail connecting to the Plateau Trail and I stopped for about ten minutes to listen to both the owl and the woodpecker, respectively.

So far this has been my favorite hike within the National Park.

• Written Dec 30, 2006