"4 shorts on history of Lanzarote" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de Lanzarote Favorite Tip by lomi
Isla de Lanzarote General: 60 reviews and 57 photos
Favorite thing: The original name of Lanzarote before the Spanish consquest is Tite-Roy-Gatra, which translates as Rose-coloured-Hill.
Lancelloto Malocello, a trader who arrived on the island in 1312, is credited with making its presence known to the European powers of the time. The name Lanzarote got written on to maps after his name (lancelloto).
The original inhabitants of the Canaries are known as the Gaunches, all the islanders spoke a similar language with slight variations on each island.
The Gaunches had a hierarchy; the royal family, noblemen and the farmers at the bottom.
More Reviews (129)
- See All International Musem of Modern Art (MIAC)
- See All Bistro with a twist!
- See All Not 5* dining, but great hotel
- See All Shopping in Arrecife
- See All How to chill out in a Spanish bar
- See All Ferry to Fuertuventura
lomi's Related Pages
Have you been to Isla de Lanzarote?Share Your Travels