"Divinity School" Top 5 Page for this destination Bodleian Library Tip by evaanna

Bodleian Library, Oxford: 16 reviews and 21 photos

Entrance to Divinity School
by evaanna

Part of the Bodleian Library, the Divinity School is the oldest university building, built in 1420-83 specially for lectures and discussions on theology. As you enter it, but not by the entrance in the picture, which is for professors only, look up and admire its wonderful vaulted ceiling with hundreds of bosses and about a hundred crests of the founders on its walls - a masterpiece of English Perpendicular Gothic architecture. One of the treasures kept there is a chair made of the original wood from the ship of Sir Francis Drake.
The door at the School's far end leads to the Convocation House where Cromwell's Parliament met in 1681. The room, with its beautifully carved benches, immediately looked familiar to me when my friend and library guide showed us in. Yet, I was sure I had never been there before. The solution to this mystery was simple: I remembered the place from 'The Madness of King George', which I had watched three times. The Divinity School itself also features in 'To Kill a King' and, as the Hogwarts sanatorium, in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'.
Above the Divinity School is the magnificent Duke Humfrey Library named after Henry V's brother and built in the years 1439 - 1489. Unfortunately, I only visited the place on my first visit to Oxford and without a camera. When we were there last July it was Saturday afternoon, too late for it to be still open.

Open: weekdays - 9 am.- 5 pm., Saturdays - 9 am.- 12.30

• Updated Dec 29, 2006

Comments

evaanna

“The sky is blue everywhere.”

Have you been to Oxford?