"Skydiving at Sky Dive San Diego" Sky Diving Tip by ahimsadesi

Sky Diving, San Diego: 4 reviews and 11 photos

Skydiving is like nothing else. It had been a dream of mine for fully 1.5 years before I finally summoned the courage to sign up, and I don't regret it for a second.

But that's after the jump. God knows I lost sleep over it for the entire 3 weeks after I signed up and before I jumped.

Once at the dropzone, my group of 20+ learned that we were only recorded as a single jumper in the computer thanks to an error made by 1-800-SKY-RIDE, the company through which we booked the jump. Go direct. Sky Dive San Diego is a great facility with helpful people and costs about the same.

After that snafu was straightened out my instructor (a guy named "Tigger") nonchalantly strapped me up and gave me some directions on what to do when the big moment arrived in mid-air. I shot back with some what-if scenarios, and he told me not to worry about messing up anything--he would handle it.

And boy was he right. I didn't actually have to jump at all. My instructor physically made the leap and I was strapped so tightly to him that I was plunging to the ground at 120mph of terminal velocity before I even knew it.

So what does it feel like? It's like the most intense wind tunnel I could ever imagine being in. Absolutely surreal in every sense of the word. But the scenery is breathtaking and the experience unforgettable. I would do it again in one pulse-pounding heartbeat.

My camera girl (pay for the video option!) told me before we left the plane "Don't waste too much time looking down," but I forgot her wise words as I was immersed in my new reality. I missed out on the mountains, the ocean, and even Mexico in the far distance, failing to take full panoramic advantage of my ~45 seconds of flight.

Also note that while the stated jumping altitude is 13,000 feet, it can vary from 9,000 up depending on cloud cover and other weather conditions, if your jump isn't cancelled entirely.

And one last bit of advice: make sure your goggles are over your eyes before jumping! That jump was pretty blurry, but hindsight is 20/20 isn't it?

Address: 13531 Otay Lakes Road, Jamul CA 91935
Directions: From I-5 South: Take I-5 S to Hwy 54 East. Take 54 E to I-805 South. Take I-805 S to the Telegraph Canyon Rd East Exit. Take Telegraph Cyn Rd E and travel 11 miles. Travel along Otay Lake and you will see the parachute center at the east end of the lake.
Phone: (619) 216-8416
Website: http://www.skydivesandiego.com

• Updated Dec 26, 2006

Ranked Member

Have you been to San Diego?