"Cup and Show Week with horse races in November" Top 5 Page for this destination Christchurch Local Custom Tip by Kakapo2
Christchurch Local Customs: 42 reviews and 46 photos
Show Week is an endless celebration, party-time and fashion frenzy around Canterbury Anniversary Day which is - so the wording of the Christchurch City Council - on the second Friday after the first Tuesday in November.
It starts with Cup Week. This culminates in the New Zealand Trotting Cup on Addington Racecourse, the country's most important trotting race.
After that the Royal New Zealand Show takes place in the Canterbury Agricultural Park (Wigram Road) from Wednesday to Friday. In former times its name was Agricultural and Pastoral (A & P) Show. It features farm animals (a real lot of sheep!), exhibitions, activities and competitions like dog trials and wood chopping.
The New Zealand Gallops Cup on Riccarton Racecourse is the final highlight.
Read more about the history and events on
More Local Customs in Christchurch (15)
More Reviews (228)
- See All The new after-quake double-decker city...
- See All Produce and fruit fresh from the orchard
- See All Local transport after the earthquakes
- See All Pure indulgence
- See All Scared Scriptless comedy show
- See All Accommodation after the February...
- See All Tour Buses are no Banksafes
- See All Mountain Biking in the Port Hills on a...
- See All Succulent Steaks and Divine Desserts
- See All A new Maori Experience on the Styx River
- See All KoTane have found a new Source of Income
Been to Christchurch?Share your travels with the world!
Kakapo2's Related Pages
Have you been to Christchurch?Share Your Travels