VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Not As Bad As Some Make Out But..........." Taxis Tip by johngayton

Taxis, Amsterdam: 20 reviews and 17 photos

Taxis Outside Centraal Station
by johngayton

.........expensive nevertheless.

I have only used taxis here in Amsterdam on two occassions: the first being my first ever visit when I arrived at Centraal Station about 1 am with no idea where my hotel was; the second being one particularly drunken evening when I couldn't find the night bus stop - having wandered all the way from Leidseplein (going in the oppposite direction to where I should have been) all the way back to Centraal and even after asking directions from a policeman I still couldn't find it!!

On both occassions I didn't actually have any problems with the taxi, the guys put on the meter, with whatever additions added, and the bill, although a tad more expensive than the night bus, not too wallet-destroying. That said, taxis are expensive and rarely necessary given the excellent public transport options. If you do however need a taxi it is usually best to prearrange with a reputable company, or through your hotel, which will normally quote you a fixed fare.

Number and site below are not a personal recommendation.

Address: Amsterdam
Mode: AROUND
Phone: 0624 500 966
Type: Other
Website: http://www.hollandtaxi.com

• Written Dec 21, 2006

Comments

johngayton

“The slow lane often gets you there faster”

Have you been to Amsterdam?