"Gondola Ride - Most photographed craft." Gondola Tip by Jerelis

Gondola, Venice: 51 reviews and 101 photos

With the gondola on the Grand Canal.
by Jerelis
      With the gondola on the Grand Canal.
      The one we had!
    by Jerelis

The gondola is certainly the most photographed craft in the world and its image has become, for million of tourists, the symbol itself of Venice. All those gondola's on the water is a beautiful sight to see. Realizing that we were part of during our ride was just great. Especially at the secundary canals everybody was watching us and maybe it was a bit embarrassing to see that almost all those tourists were taking a picture of us in the gondola. We must have ended up in quite some photo books! :-)

Sitting inside the gondola gave us a nice opportunity to have a close look ath the boat. The famous iron of the head is an element that has to balance the weight of the gondolier. The double "S" bending should simulate the proceeding of the Canal Grande and the lunette. Just remember that the gondola is unique even for it characteristics, because it's asymmetric. Therefore it's to be adviced that the gondelier helps you get in and get out.

We ended our amazing gondola ride with a huge laugh. We asked the gondelier to take a picture of us while sitting in the boat. I gave him my photo camera and wanted to explain to him how the camera works. He said:"Don't you worry. I know how it works, because photographer is my second occupation!"

Type: Other

• Updated Dec 21, 2006

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Have you been to Venice?