Sidewalk Cafe: "respectable food in a disreputable hood" Sidewalk Cafe Tip by gilescorey

Sidewalk Cafe, Los Angeles: 2 reviews and 3 photos

Come one, Come All!
by gilescorey

The Sidewalk Cafe is one of the few sit down joints on the Venice Beach boardwalk, and, as such, there is often a wait for a table. Trust me: the wait has nothing to do with the food. Sidewalk is passable, so long as you stick to the basics: Breakfast, burgers, etc. To consider nachos or fajitas is to seriously push your luck. That said, service is decent, and the prices are low. Where's the problem?

Favorite Dish: Nearly all of the dining room is outside, so if you sit near the boardwalk, you'll have plenty of entertainment. What's interesting about this joint is that the bar draws as many locals as tourists. If you have the opportunity, I suggest you sit at the bar and take in the local scene. Some of the b*tchinest roller skaters that I'd admired just an hour ago rolled up to the bar and pulled some pints. Music was jammin', game was playin, skaters be dancin' and I said, "daggummit, I'm buying the bar a round!". Then I remembered I was poor and went back to my soggy french fries.

Address: 1401 Ocean Front Walk
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: the boardwalk and Horizon Blvd. Can't miss it!
Phone: 310.399.5547
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: American
Website: http://www.thesidewalkcafe.com

• Written Dec 13, 2006

Comments

gilescorey Used To Live Here!

gilescorey

“I was on my way to San Diego, but my house got a flat”

Have you been to Los Angeles?