"Zum Schwarzen Kameel": "Black Camel time." Top 5 Page for this destination Zum Schwarzen Kameel Tip by longsanborn
Zum Schwarzen Kameel, Vienna: 3 reviews and 4 photos
This "Zum Schwarzen Kameel" restaurant has remained in the same family since 1618. In the mornings and during lunch, the cafe is packed with locals/Viennese. Well-dressed uniformed waiters will bring you a beverage, and you can select open-face sandwiches from the trays on the black counter tops. In the evenings, you can select wines from their good selections of Austrian and international wine lists. You can have finger food from the deli section - salami, sausages, olives or cheeses - to go with your wine.
Beyond the cafe is a perfectly preserved Art Deco dining room where jeweled copper chandeliers hang from beaded strings. The walls are a combination of polished paneling, yellowed ceramic tiles, and a dusky plaster ceiling frieze of grape leaves.
This is a good place to drink wine/coffee and chat with your friends. It's a place to hang out and discuss the hours away talking about politics, sports, gossips, etc. In fact, it is a really cool place to be and you will not feel like you have to leave.
Opening hours: Mon-Sat 8:30am-3pm and 6-10:30pm
Favorite Dish: The restaurant has just 11 tables, but it's a perfect place for a nostalgic lunch in Vienna.
The hearty and well-flavored cuisine features herring fillets from Oslo, Austrian thick potato soup, cooked veal with ham, and an array of daily fish specials. You can also pick from the tempting selections of deli meats and Italian cheeses.
Address: Bognergasse 5, 1010 Vienna
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: U-Bahn: U2 or U3 to Schottentor or Bus no. 2A or 3A; or walk to end of Graben, turn right at the Julius Meidl and then left when you see a street called Bogner strasse.
More Restaurants in Vienna (86)
More Reviews (86)
- See All Mozart Balls (Not what you think)
- See All Route change in Tram No. 1 and No. 2
- See All Opposite the VIC/UNO City and Austria...
- See All Visit the Tiergarten Schönbrunn...
- See All Vienna and the Euro 2008
- See All Check out Taborstrasse in Leopoldstadt...
- See All Beware of Handphone Snatchers!
- See All Soft Romances at Museum Quartier
- See All To Tip/Not to Tip? How much? Tough...
- See All Roller Blading in Vienna's Many Parks
- See All Prepare for a Hot, Hot, Hot Summer
- See All Only for the Ladies!
longsanborn's Related Pages
Have you been to Vienna?Share Your Travels