CLOSED DOWN: Cusina Pilipinas: "New Flavours in an historic Building" Top 5 Page for this destination Dunedin Restaurant Tip by Kakapo2

Dunedin Restaurants: 30 reviews and 20 photos

Available for lease: the first doctor's house.
by Kakapo2

Update Feb. 2008
What a shame! On our visit to Dunedin in February 2008 we had to find out that one of our two favourite restaurants has closed down. We were so looking forward to a dinner there! I was told they closed down because the owner of the historic building in George Street had announced to raise the rent drastically, and the owners were not willing to pay. So this perfect nice place is history. Hopefully they find another place, as their fabulous cuisine was such a great experience. A sign in the window indicates that the upper floors of the building are for lease.

I leave this tip here because I hope Cusina Pilipinas will open somewhere else soon.

The first thing I noticed was just the name, and as I thought Filipino restaurants are rather rare, we wanted to get a taste of this kind of cuisine. The first surprise was that the restaurant was not at the ground floor as I had supposed... The second surprise that the the area in the first floor was not all... There was another staircase which led to a spectacular attic with a very old kauri ceiling and looks over a part of the city. The house was the home of Dunedin's first hospital doctor. (I must double-check this... It has been a while... The history of the building is printed in the menu.) The third surprise was the divine food, everything tasted so incredibly delicious, and the the fourth surprise the moderate prices. Over all, a great dining experience. When we are back in Dunedin, we will be back at Cusina Pilipinas!

Favorite Dish: All dishes had unique flavours, so dining was like a discovery tour, and the tastebuds being surprised with every new dish. My starter was to die for: marinated fish with fresh herbs, absolutely divine.

The restaurant also offers morning/afternoon teas and finger foods, caters for all kinds of functions - but have not tried this.

Address: Cusina Pilipina, 412A George Street, Dunedin
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: Located in the main street of Dunedin, opposite Knox Church, close to university, in the first and second floors over another restaurant named Capers
othercontact: mob. (021) 257 8746
Phone: (03) 477 6335
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 5
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Updated Jul 29, 2008

Kakapo2 Visits Here Frequently!

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Dunedin?