"Bungendore" Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Favorite Tip by iandsmith

Australia General: 527 reviews and 649 photos

Egrets, I've had a few

Egrets, I've had a few
    by iandsmith
      Yes, but is it comfortable?
      Voting with their feet
      inlaid
      It's not all wood
    by iandsmith

Favorite thing: In all my trips overseas and throughout Australia, I have yet to see a better woodwork display than can be found here. The man is passionate about his craft and it's reflected in the quality (and quantity) of work on display.
Situated across the road from the historic Carrington Inn, it's low facade and glass reflecting the outside belie what treats are in store for you indoors.
The quality and eclectic range of works is superb. I've managed to include several here but they are but the tip of an iceberg of what you might find here.
One standout in a room of many is the boot display (pic 3). Inside a wooden glass-fronted cabinet are around 500 carved miniature wooden boots - all of different types of wood! Dwell on that for a moment. I did and marvelled even more at how much work it must have taken - and that's just finding the varieties of timber!

Fondest memory: David Maclaren is the driving force behind this venture. When asked, as he often is, why he doesn't move to a major city location, he simply replies that he likes it where he is and I, for one, can't blame him for that.
There's a huge range, not only of his woodwork, but several other mediums as well. Paintings, for instance, form a notable part of the display here. Then there's the practical gift items, one of which I chose, that range from as little as $20 to the if-you-have-to-ask-you-can't-afford-it category. However, looking is free and I found it a real pleasure.
The first pic is titled as per the caption and features three birds in a boat, I love the irony.
The second pic is one of several unusual chairs on display. Whether one would actually wish to sit on them is another matter.

• Updated Dec 3, 2006

Comments

iandsmith Lives Here!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to Australia?