"By all means, don’t treat WA..." State of Western Australia Favorite Tip by richiecdisc

State of Western Australia Favorites: 28 reviews and 61 photos

Favorite thing: By all means, don’t treat WA as a Perth stopover en route to Australia. In fact, for most, WA is a trip in itself if you really want to see it. It’s huge and distances between attractions are far. Another logistical problem is the dry/wet season climate as the far north can only be properly explored during the dry months from around May to November. The south is better during the southern Hemisphere’s summer months between December and March. For this reason, we visited WA twice, once via train to visit Perth, the southwest coast, and north to Monkey Mia. And later we made a special flight from Cairns to Broome, a great beach town in the far north to visit the Kimberly once it has dried out. It seemed a big expense at the time, but I can safely say now that was the best money we spent on the entire trip. All of WA is great, but have to say that if I could only see one part, it would be the Kimberly.

Fondest memory: The dolphins had gone, we had missed their last appearance for the day, or so we thought. We had gotten to Monkey Mia, a small beach in the center of Western Australia, in the late afternoon. Dolphins are uniquely nosey here. They come into shore each day to see the tourists. This is definitely an instance where one isn’t sure just who is on which side of the bars so to speak. They are quite approachable and the deep expression in their eyes leaves little doubt of their intelligence. This little spectacle at Monkey Mia has become so popular that the rangers must stay in the water to keep the pilgrims at bay. But we’d missed that this day; they’d come and gone. It was a nice beach nonetheless so we decided to hang out and catch some rays. Noticed three guys with a picnic overhang and joined them to escape the heat. We’d learn later that most Aussies would refer to them as “yabo’s.” They were construction workers on an all guys week out, going from town to town in a yute (small fat bed pick-up truck) with a generator and a freezer full of meat in tow. A few slabs of beer and three swags and they were good to go, sleeping out under the stars and taking full advantage of the dry summer months in WA. Each drank their own brand of beer so as to not dip into the others share. Whether this was by design I never did know, but that’s how is seemed. We hadn’t brought any beer as we thought we were there just to see the dolphins and go. They offered and after refusing a few times, we gave in and drank plenty. Conversation and laughs flowed and our new companions had taken such a liking to us, they insisted on having a “Barbie” for us! They were so drunk that Kristin had to get it all sorted out and soon the steaks, burgers and snags were sizzling. We continued to drink and the food was our only salvation. But in the end, there was still the drive back to the hostel in town so I decided I had to go for a swim though leery from our talks about the high preponderance of white sharks in the local waters. With the drive looming, I finally succumbed and the water was refreshing. I swam out to the end of the fishing pier and treaded water. All of a sudden, I saw a fin pop up next to me, and then another. Before I could sh** myself, I realized they weren’t sharks but in fact dolphins, come out to play. You don’t realize how big a dolphin is until one is right next to you in the water. They dwarf you in comparison. They are truly magnificent animals. Though no longer afraid, I decided to swim back to shore and they swam right next to me right up to the beach. Then we had our own private show. Amazing how the they would lay on their sides and gaze up at you with big expression filled eyes. We hung out until they decided to leave and drove back to town. The yabos went first as they explained they had a ‘roo bar (Aussie contraption to fend off kangaroos from wrecking their trucks/cars in the event of a crash with one). I could barely keep up! We got into town and went on a bit of a session, dancing on tables and generally raising Aussie hell. Outside later that night, they demonstrated the crocodile roll, rolling me around on the dry dusty ground. Met up with them again the next day at Monkey Mia for the actual “show” and they were all scratched up from the previous night’s scuffle, bloody reminders I’d miraculously escaped. The show was okay but paled in comparison to the day before. Said goodbye to our new found friends and drove away fully knowing we’d been given something very special.

• Written Sep 3, 2002

Comments

richiecdisc

“fairy tales can come true...”

Have you been to State of Western Australia?