Multiple outlets citywide: "Amber: I came, I Saw and I Bought" Gdansk Shopping Tip by Ekaterinburg

Gdansk Shopping: 52 reviews and 143 photos

ul. Mariacka with display cases of Amber
by Ekaterinburg

Earlier this year I had read a book called 'The Amber Trail'. It described the origins of Amber in the Baltic and described one woman's marathon bicycle trip from the Baltic Sea to the Mediteranean following the ancient trade routes. I learned how amber is formed and is harvested on windswept Baltic beaches and indeed of the penalties imposed on local people who tried to come by some amber for their own financial gain. Glowing descriptions of the amber rooms at Malbork Castle really inflamed my passion for this stone and I determined that I was going to harvest my own little gem when I came to Poland. In Gdansk, the problem is where to buy rather than what to buy. In the centre of town you could not move two paces without bumping into an amber shop and after a while the selection became bewildering.

What to buy: After browsing through every amber display case in ul. Mariacka and suffering from the usual crippling inability to make my mind up, I finally purchased in one of the shops on the Long Embankment. At that stage it was almost in desperation BUT I finally chose a ring that Iliked and went home well pleased with myself. It's a beautiful ring 'sreberna i burstynova' (amber and silver if my memory is correct, or even partially correct) but later that evening when I tried it on, it just slid straight off myfinger. Obviously my hands were swollen in the extreme heat and I had bought the wrong size. Four months later I have still not brought it to a jewellers shop to be altered but Iwill do it before Christmas and then it will be an extra present to myself.

What to pay: You can spend a vast amount on the really large items but I paid EUR50 for a ring that would probably cost at least EUR100 here.

Address: The Long Embankment
Directions: Alongside the river, near the Green Gate.
Theme: Jewelry

• Written Dec 1, 2006

Comments

Ekaterinburg

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Gdansk?