"Stare Miasto - often ignored" Gdansk Off The Beaten Path Tip by Ekaterinburg

Gdansk Off The Beaten Path: 118 reviews and 390 photos

Evening Sky and church spires in Stare Miasto
by Ekaterinburg

The Glowne Miasto in Gdansk is so stunning that some visitors, especially those with limited time tend to stay strictly within its boundries. There's much more to Gdansk than Dluga, Dlugi Targ and The Long Embankment. I did not see a fraction of what I wanted to see - you'd need at least a week to do Gdank justice- but I really enjoyed my forays into the area outside the very centre. The atmosphere is quite different and shows another side of Gdansk than just the picturesque. The streets around the train station, the Great Mill and St Katherine's Church are full of character. Heavy red brick and a sometimes rather sombre look - this was actually what I expected Gdansk to look like despite having seen numerous pictures of the centre. This red bricked architecture is very reminiscent of some of the industrial cities of Northern UK and parts of Gdansk reminded me of Manchester.There are numerous street markets around here and people sitting in communal gardens outside their apartments. The objects of desire for me in all these markets were the giant sunflower heads being sold, presumably, for their seeds. I will never be able to appreciate seeds bought in a bag again.

othercontact: Just outside the Glowne Miasto

• Updated Nov 30, 2006

“Outside of a cat, a book is (wo)man's best friend.Inside of a cat, it's too dark to read. ( Apologies to G. Marx)”

Have you been to Gdansk?