Seva Cafe: "An Experiment in Giving" Top 5 Page for this destination Ahmadabad Restaurant Tip by supune

Ahmadabad Restaurants: 12 reviews and 9 photos

Our friend Anjali. She volunteered here every day

Our friend Anjali. She volunteered here every day
      My friends Bharti and Marcella making good food
    by supune
      many of the beautiful things
    by supune

Visiting this place was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity. Everything here is free. You can donate so that the next person after you will have their meal paid for (kind of like "Pay it Forward")! This is a great place to meet young people from different walks of life. Alot of the volunteer groups we met in Ahmedabad hang out here. You will hear some amazing stories. There is a very sweet collection of artwork. You can buy clothes and other garments made by projects looking to empower some of the slum kids in "Tekra".

I'm a computer programmer that has definitely been blessed to live in the era of "The Open Source Revolution". So this idea of "Open Food" really struck me as great and made sense. Something for people to think about is how the idea of something being "open" is subtly different from something being "free". Instead of really saying the food here is free, I would say you are open to give whatever you want for a dining experience here. Remember you are helping someone in the future to come and enjoy as you did by helping the restaurant be open. I just realized that even the word "free" can be used subtly differently as in "Free Food" vs "freedom" or "Free dominion to give as you wish". You will be suprised to know that this revolution has been continued on my long beach, CA, USA pages

CG Road is THE most upper class part of the city. All of the shops in the area cater to well to do people. They decided to have this experiment in giving in a comercial district where the well do to shop, so that people that are lucky to have a good life can remember how great it feels to do service, Seva!

Favorite Dish: The Seva Chai. The best tea I ever had in my life.

Food for Thought
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.

You can learn one of the true meanings of Namaste here:
I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides, I honor the place in you of love, of light, of truth, of peace. I honor the place within you where if you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us.

Here is the exact purpose of this experiment in giving is living:
Run by volunteers, our meals are cooked and served with love, and offered to the guest as a genuine gift. To complete the full circle of giving and to sustain this experiment, we leave it to the guest to pay it forward, expressing their goodness in whatever way they wish. One immediate option is to contribute toward the cost of serving a future guest. In keeping this chain going, the generosity of both guests and volunteers helps to create a future that moves from transaction to trust, from self-oriented isolation to shared commitment, and from fear of scarcity to celebration of abundance.

Address: Shoppers Plaza 4th Floor, C.G. Road
Directions: Tell any Auto-Rik driver you want to go to Shopper's Plaza opposite Municpal Market on C.G. Road. You can do all your shopping in this area.
Phone: +91 79 3095 4140
Rating: 5
Theme: Coffeehouse
Website: http://www.sevacafe.org

• Updated Apr 3, 2007

Comments

supune

“When your tired ass gets home say sumthin nasty”

Have you been to Ahmadabad?