"Hike to Maunawili Falls and Cool Off" Top 5 Page for this destination Beaches / Coastlines Tip by AKtravelers
Beaches / Coastlines, Oahu: 63 reviews and 89 photos
For an excellent hike that will keep your sunburned skin in the shade and allow you to beat the Hawaiian heat, you should head to Maunawilli Falls on the Windward Side. This is not a strenuous hike in terms of elevation change but it is challenging due to the exposed roots (you can never look up, it seems), frequent stream crossings (I quickly gave up on futile rock hopping and just walked in the water) and mud (everyone slips in it at least once -- this is the wettest inhabited part of Oahu). The falls themselves are beautiful and offer a great place to swim as well as alternative platforms for jumping. While I was there, most people chose the 10-foot jump pictured but a Marine stationed at Kaneohe Bay did the 50-foot leap. Yikes.
Definitely wear hiking boots on this trek and leave your pets and kids at home. Oh, and don't forget the misquito repellant. I won't forget it next time!
More Off The Beaten Path in Oahu (14)
More Reviews (79)
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Walk to Makapu'u Point: See Whales!
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels