"The Red House" Top 5 Page for this destination Suffolk Things to Do Tip by margaretvn

Suffolk Things to Do: 43 reviews and 106 photos

The Red House
by margaretvn

When we decided to take a short holiday in this part of England one place we definitely wanted to visit was Aldeburgh and the Red House. This is the house were the composer B.Britten lived for many years with his partner the tenor P. Pears. I was looking for more information about the Red House, which we knew was a museum, and discovered it was probably closed for the year by the time we would be on holiday. I emailed the curator and asked the actual closig date and saying when we would be there. Quickly got an email back saying that they were actually closed but if we came he would open up and give us a tour. We arrived expecting a short tour but he took us around and we spend a happy and very interesting two hours looking around the house and learning a lot about the lifes of these two Britten and Pears. We asked what the price of tour was and it is actually 5 pounds but we were given it as a "freebie" We were not rushed through at all but given a very individual and very informative tour and then the chance to look at the exhibition area by ourselves.
Britten and Pears were avid collectors of art and their house is full of it. When we were there Pears bedroom was being restored so that was closed but we saw the room were Britten died and all the other rooms.
When driving there we stopped and asked an old lady for directions and heard she had met the composer during one of his many walks on the local beach. He died in 1976.
tours up to 10 people are welcome but must be pre-booked

Address: Golf Lane Aldeburgh
Directions: Golf Lane is actually off the B1122 Leiston rd next to the golf course and is a provate road.
Phone: 01728 452615
Website: http://www.brittenpears.org

• Updated Nov 26, 2006

Comments

margaretvn

“I have spread my dreams under your feet....tread softly - you tread on my dreams”

Have you been to Suffolk?