The Dubliner: "Best Irish pub" Top 5 Page for this destination Göteborg Nightlife Tip by Henrik_rrb

Göteborg Nightlife: 67 reviews and 50 photos

It's hard to not like a place where I get the first four beers for free during my first visit... :)
The Dubliner, although mostly known here as "Dubliners", is a wellknown Irish pub in the central parts of Gothenburg. Great place to stay, no matter if the beers are free or not.
It's located in the center of the Avenyn, and has plenty of space. The beer is quite cheap, about 4-4,50 euro for a pint and although I could wish for more different kinds of beer they have one that I really like at least.
A dutch one, with a name that is so long that I've of course forgotten about it... ;)

I've also been told that Irish pubs in Sweden should have Magners, a look-alike copy of the Irish cider Bulmers.

The free beers? Well, long story... I went to Dubliners on a Wednesday evening with some friends, and when I went to the bar desk I managed to turn over a bottle of beer at the desk, which were far from anyone. Half empty, and I thought it didn't belong to anyone.
Until three minutes later, when a woman comes up to me and "hey stupid, that was my beer"...

Great start of the evening... I asked if she wanted a new one, and there was no chance she would turn that offer down, she wasn't one of the polite persons in Gothenburg...

So I got her another beer, and apparently the bartender had seen the whole thing, so he refused to take my money.

Thanks, mate!

Which was more than the woman said... Ugly bastard...

Later on that evening it was my turn to buy the round, and I went to the bar desk again. Ordered three glasses of that dutch beer, but then of course it was finished in the beer barrel.

No problem, as it was replaced two minutes later with another one.
But the bartender again refused to take my money, due to the delay.
Although at this point started to wonder if this guy was looking for something else than just a "thanks"... :)

My friends didn't care though, as they sent me up to the desk another couple of times, with the hope of more free beers...
My luck for that evening was over though.

Dress Code: No need to dress up very good go get in here, but of course it helps to look at least decent.

Dubliner is something between a restaurant, pub and sportsbar, as it specially during the weekends is crowded with people who wants to see the Premier League-games on big tv-screens.

Address: Östra Hamngatan 50B
Directions: Walk down on the Kungsportsavenyn, seen from the Poseidon-statue. After 1,5 kilometer you'll have The Dubliner on your right.
Phone: +46 (0)31-13 90 20
Theme: Nightclub

• Written Nov 25, 2006

Henrik_rrb Lives Here!

“There is always a new place to see.”

Have you been to Göteborg?