Karakoy Gulluoglu: "Do you like desserts?" Karakoy Gulluoglu Tip by ozalp

A mixture
  • Inside - Istanbul
  • Kadayif - Istanbul
    by ozalp

Do you know ?baklava?? It is a traditional dessert of Turkish cuisine. It is made of walnut or pistachio between baked thin dough leaves and boiled water and sugar. Antep, a city in South Eastern part of Turkey, is very famous with its baklava production. There is a workshop there which sends baklava even to White House. Do not ask me the name of the place, coz I do not remember.
Let?s return to our main subject. This place I am trying to tell you about is a famous shop with its baklava production. The owner is from Antep, I think. There are two different Gulluoglu brand in Istanbul now. I heard that they had been separated because of the family matters. Karakoy Gulluoglu is only in two locations. One of them is a workshop near Tophane, the other and the popular one is under a multi storey parking lot near Karakoy port and Yeralti Camii (Underground Mosque).
The produce different kind of desserts with butter and serbet (boiled water with sugar). You can taste them in the shop. They have some tables in front of the shop, also a table in the shop. If you do not have the appetite at the time you see the shop, do not worry. They also sell desserts in packages.

Be careful if you want to pay a visit there in Ramadan, because there are long queues here during this period.

Favorite Dish: Baklava with walnut (I do not like the one with pistachio but it is the most popular one)

Address: Rihtim Caddesi Karakoy
Theme: Dessert
Website: http://www.karakoygulluoglu.com

• Written Nov 22, 2006

ozalp Lives Here!

“I like my town with a little drop of poison.”

Have you been to Istanbul?