"What Pick Pockets?" Pickpockets and Purse-Snatchers Tip by steve1978

Pickpockets and Purse-Snatchers, Rome: 174 reviews and 57 photos

I just got back from a wonderful 'European Vacation' with my wife. We saw several cities in Italy, including Venice, Vicenza, Milan and Rome. We even made it to Paris for 2 nights and a day.

We were in Rome November 14 and 15. Not a pick pocket in site. I read on this site the 'dangers' of it all before and it was nowhere near what I expected.

But maybe that is because I 'thought' like a pickpocket and therefore avoided any trouble.

I had a backpack on during my whole trip, my camera in my front pocket, and even carried some things in my back pocket. Everyone who saw us KNEW we were 'not from around there' especially because my wife wore pink, unlike most Italians and Parisians who seemed to mostly wear black (all very stylish, by the way!).

We actually kept my wife's purse inside the backpack, and any valuables kept in there were locked up with a combination padlock. I utilized a neck wallet that worked perfectly (I recomment button up shirts for easy access).

Often times I found myself in crowds with my backpack on (i.e. Subway), but the best way to take care of this is to 'sway' a little bit and keep your eyes open. It helps to have your spouses hand on the bag as well, if possible. If not, just sway or move around every few seconds...if any pickpocket sees that you are looking around and are 'minding your surroundings' they will probably move on to the next victim.

I found myself looking at OTHER People and thinking 'if I was a pickpocket, I could get to their pocket or this person's backpack easily'. Yes, I saw some people there that would make it so easy to be pickpocketed.

As others have pointed out on here: use common sense and there will be no problem.

Address: Paris