The Carriage House: "A Bit Snobby" Tempest at Carriage House Tip by cruisingbug

The Carriage House, St. George's, Bermuda
by cruisingbug

We had lunch at the Carriage House as part of NCL's Dine Ashore program. For each adult in our party, $5 was charged to our shipboard account in exchange for a $25 voucher good at select restaurants in Bermuda. At the Carriage House, we were able to select items off the regular menu, then apply the $25 ($100 for the four of us) toward our bill.

The Carriage House is located on the water, and if the weather's nice, al fresco dining is available. But it was windy and chilly while we were there, so we ate in the dining room. We were traveling with our 11-month-old, which I believe, along with the vouchers, contributed to the generally indifferent (bordering on haughty) service we received (mostly from the host/waiter in the Bermuda shorts. The water guy was friendly.)

Favorite Dish: We managed to spend well over our $100, even just with lunch. Mom had shrimp, Dad had steak, hubby had Fish n Chips. I had just appetizers and soup: escargots, fish chowder (tasted a bit like tortilla soup), and conch fritters (mostly breading, very little meat). Baby had Puffed Rice from a ziplock. :) We were seated away from other patrons, which was good since she got antsy by the end of the meal.

The food was OK, but honestly, we'd had better food on the ship (and NCL isn't really known for its food). I had a decent cappuccino, which wasn't included with the voucher, and wasn't any better than what we'd had onboard either.

The reason NCL does the voucher program is to allow passengers to sample the local cuisine and give some business to local restaurants. Granted, the meal was a bargain with the vouchers, but if I were paying full price I'd have been disappointed.

Address: Water St.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: about a block from King's Square
Phone: (441) 297 1270 or (441) 297 173
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 2
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.bermuda.com/carriage/

• Written Nov 20, 2006

Comments

cruisingbug

“Have kids, will travel again someday...”

Have you been to Saint George?