"Coffee and cake in..." Lima Off The Beaten Path Tip by B_Caro

Lima Off The Beaten Path: 45 reviews and 50 photos

<b>Coffee and cake in Barranco</b>

This one is not the fondest memory I have from Peru but it was my last impression of Lima and it was a nice one.

On Sunday morning we arrived in Lima, coming from Cuzco. Our plane back to Europe was at 9 p.m.
So we had a whole day we could spend at Lima. We had a bus at our disposal and decided to do some sightseeing along the coast and in the districts Miraflores, Chorillo, Barranco.

We stopped in Chorillos to see the Pescadores. And seeing this variety of fish and shellfish, we wanted to have lunch in a fish restaurant. Our local guide made some arrangements in a fish restaurant, situated in Barranco.
Nearby the restaurant was a small market place, with a lot of market stall selling all kind of prepared food: like ceviche, rocoto relleno, pollo, palta a la reyna, trucha a la plancha, lomo saltado, chicharon, cuy,.... and a big assortment of cakes.

It smelled delicious. In the middle of the marketplace, there were also tables and chairs and people could sit there to enjoy meal & drinks. Seems like there was some kind of event going on. Anyway, it looked very inviting. But we had already booked the restaurant, so there was no choice. And this restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. We regret that we didn't stay at the market place to have lunch and we decided to have dessert and coffee at this little market place. Wow, there was really a lot of choice! All kind of cakes and desserts. There was also a kind of 'free podium' (like we call it in Belgium) with young musicians playing South American songs.

In the meantime, a lot of people (almost all from the neighbourhood) were at the market place and enjoying their lunch. We were the only tourists around. And from the way they looked at us I had the feeling that tourists don't come here very often.
So we were sitting there, amongst the others, some start to talk with us. And it seems that this event takes place every Sunday.
And when we left, people even start waving at us. It was really funy.

On the way back we stopped at the Parque de Amore in Miraflores and nearby there was a place (at the top of the cliffs) where several para-pentes where flying. For 20 dollar you could even made a duo-flight. It looked very inviting to make such a flight, but is was so close to our own departure that I didn't want to take the risk.

I only have a few pics from this last day in Peru as I had no film left. So I hope I can borrow some from my fellow travellers.

• Written Aug 24, 2002

Comments

B_Caro

“..... Climbing the Great Wall in China ..... and next one will be the Silk Road (at least part of it) ”

Have you been to Lima?