No Name Restaurant: "Probably the best view in town" Cantina das Freiras Tip by rexvaughan

Cantina das Freiras, Lisbon: 1 reviews and 5 photos

The terrace

The terrace
  • Probably the best view in town - Lisbon
      View from the restaurant terrace
      Bouganvilla next door
      I think this is the whole of Travessa do Ferragial
    by rexvaughan

I got this restaurant recommendation from someone on VT but either I have the name wrong (E-diogo) or he is no longer here. The place really does not have a name that I could find and E-diogo says that it is run by Catholic nuns. The little directory in the building where it is located simply said "Self Service," level 3. At any rate, we had a wonderful time here as it has tables on a terrace overlooking the Tejo River with the huge Cristo Rei on the opposite side as well as some beautiful bouganvillas blooming at the nearest building. It was a bright sunny day so the table umbrellas were welcome and gave it a festive atmosphere. What a wonderful setting with magnificent picturesque scenery all around. Since the place has no discernable name, it is probably safe to assume it is a local place. A young couple behind us in the serving line were very helpful in indicating how the system worked and what we should order.

Favorite Dish: Our experience with Portuguese food was that it is almost always very simple, but extremely well prepared and tasty. Our lunch consisted of a nice fricasseed chicken with rice and salad, tea for my wife and Sagres dark beer for me with custard pudding with cinnamon for dessert. It was a hearty, simple and delicious meal for 13.65 Euros for both of us.

Address: Travessa do Ferragial 1
Price Comparison: least expensive
Directions: Between Rua do Arsenal and Rua Vitor Cordon and between Praca do Municipio and Largo do Corpo Santo.
Phone: +351 21 324 0910
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Written Nov 15, 2006

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2015 at 6:32 PM

Thought you'd like to know that the name is Cantina das Freiras. Which means Canteen of Nuns.

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Have you been to Lisbon?