"Lost in the Valley" Sagada Things to Do Tip by greensalad

Sagada Things to Do: 232 reviews and 571 photos

Echo!!! (and then it bounces!) Haha!
by greensalad
      Echo!!! (and then it bounces!) Haha!
      I Was Here
      Don't Look Down
      On Our Way to the Valley
      Are You Lost?
    by greensalad

We attempted to go to Kiltepan Tower but we got lost. Er, actually, we decided not to proceed after learning that it will take us almost two hours of hiking or an hour if we ride the Bontoc jeepney. And Candice was suffering from stomachache that she might have killed us already if we ignore her pleas of going back or looking for a medicine somewhere (although we were really tempted to leave her there if necessary. Wahaha! Joke!).

We decided to go to the valley first. We reached Sagada's cemetery, which was on a hill. There were two different paths. One on our left, and another on our right. Consulting the map, we followed the left trail to go to the Echo Valley first. We went up and up the grassy and muddy hill. When we reached a cliff, we tried shouting each other's names to check if we were indeed at Echo Valley but we can't hear an echo! So, obviously, we were on the wrong site. Two foreigners (a father and daughter tandem) asked Ramil if he knows where Echo Valley was and Ramil said no. Well, we were just really groping our way around. The two retraced their steps while we pushed upward. We figured out that since the hanging coffins are well, hanging, then it must be on the upper part of the hill. Wrong!

After trekking a muddy path, we reached a large cross on top of the hill. Unconsciously, we already reached the Calvary, also one tourist spot in Sagada. Anyway, I roamed around the hill, passing through some tombs along the way. Creepy. Some of the tombs date as far as the 1960s. Ack! I reached a cliff and thought I must be in the right place. I shouted at Candice who was on a higher level and lo! I heard my echo! Yihee! Now I'm in Echo Valley. Or a part of it at least.

You can't really see anything aside from trees, rocks, hills. But then, the air is magnificent. Hay, so relaxing and refreshing. So away from Manila's polluted air. Now, inhale and begin shouting!!!

Address: Echo Valley
Directions: From the St. Mary's Parish, head to the stairs and turn left when you reach the cemetery. Go up the cemetery or down the trail to the hanging coffins, whichever, you are already there.

• Written Nov 15, 2006

greensalad's Related Pages

“When travelling, go with friends who share your passion for adventure.”

Have you been to Sagada?