"Maui: Road to Hana" Top 5 Page for this destination Hawaii (State of) Things to Do Tip by diver-x

Hawaii (State of) Things to Do: 553 reviews and 840 photos

Swimming at the Blue Pool - Road to Hana
by diver-x

The Road to Hana was one of those things I wasn't too keen on doing. Sounded like a lot of sitting in the car and not doing much. Well, I'm here to say, I was 100% wrong! Armed with a Lonely Planet guide book and a visitors' guide, we stopped at lots of points of interest and even got some hiking in. Highlights were the Keanae Arboretum, which was a nice stroll with some lovely plantings of trees and flowers; Kokee Beach and a swim in the Blue Pool, which is an absolute must-do in my opinion. The Blue Pool is on private land and is considered sacred by Hawaiians, but access is allowed as long as you treat the land with respect. Parking costs a nominal fee as well. Note, we found the closest parking was actually the cheapest.

We started out early (for us) at around 9:30 AM from Kihei on the northern route and made it to Hana probably at around 4:00-4:30. Once at Hana, there wasn't actually much to see or do and it was getting late anyway. So we grabbed some burgers at the only restaurant we could find with cheap eats and then headed back. We'd heard dire warnings about taking the southern route back but we decided to chance it. The road was a little scary in spots with hairpin turns and a few rough spots on the narrow, dirt road, but having grown up in the sticks, I've spent some time on scary dirt roads before and it didn't faze me all that much. It was totally worth it and I only wish we'd been a little earlier since we didn't have much daylight left for the ride back and it was even prettier than the ride out. After a while the road became paved and wider and it was dark so we pretty much hi-tailed it back to Kihei and got in at around 9:30 PM.

Directions: If you look at a map of Maui, there's no mistaking the northern road to Hana - along the north coast. The southern coastal route was passable despite some warnings it was not.

• Written Nov 13, 2006

Comments

diver-x

“Always know where your towel is.”

Have you been to Hawaii (State of)?