"An eldorado for train freaks :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Sankt Goar Transportation Tip by Rusket

Sankt Goar Transportation: 16 reviews and 36 photos

St. Goar railway station

St. Goar railway station
      Freight train seen from Goethe
      ICE train seen from Lorelei Cliff
    by Rusket
      Train tunnels and wineyards in / on cliff
    by Rusket

All of Germany is an eldorado for us train freaks. Just take a look at the .pdf maps of long distance and short distance routes!

In Sankt Goar you can admire them on both sides of the river. But the only one that stops there is the local train between Koblenz and Mainz, once every hour in each direction. This is the one I took, the price from Bingen Haubtbahnhof was EURO 4.60 one way (summer 2006). Thanks to antistar's tip I had small change ready for the vendor machine :-) What is new, I guess, is that it is also possible to pay the ticket with credit card. It wasn't easy for a foreigner to understand how the machine worked. A young women / fellow passanger was waiting patiently behind me, I thought she was waiting for me to finish. Only later did I realize she was waiting to see whether I needed help! :-)

In St Goarshausen, only a short ferry trip across the Rhein, both the local and the regional trains between Koblenz and Wiesbaden / Frankfurt have regular stops. And from there, and Mainz, you can get connections to the rest of the great german railway network, and to the rest of Europe :-)

Mode: TO
Type: Train
Website: http://www.db.de

• Updated Nov 12, 2006

Comments

Rusket

“Backpacking!”

Have you been to Sankt Goar?