Red Star Restaurant: "Famous for Dim Sum..but we're there for roast duck" Singapore Restaurant Tip by y_lyn

Singapore Restaurants: 946 reviews and 1,240 photos

American roasted duck
      American roasted duck
      Mango Pudding for dessert
    by y_lyn

This is a very tradition Chinese restaurant famous for its dim-sum. Got a strong craving for dim-sum one night and asked my parents to go Red Star Restaurant for dinner as we heard good reviews about it. Please note: It is evening around 7pm durng weekday. When we reached there, surprising there is no crowd. Only 3 tables filled up. Didn't see any aunties with the dim sum push-carts... We realize something.. who would eat dim sum at night? Haha.. we made a blunder... their dim sum a-la carte is until 3pm only everyday. Since we travelled quite a bit to reach this place and also our stomaches are growling.. we decided to settle here for our dinner still. Fortunately, the food served is not bad.

Favorite Dish: American Roasted Duck. - The skin is very crispy and goes very well with the sauce. Price is also quite reasonable, only $15 for half a duck.

~ 7 Nov 2006

Update: Today is Mother's Day and we wanted to go to this restaurant for lunch. I called to make reservation 2 days ago and they told me they will not accept reservation. Thus, being typical Kiasu Singaporean, we decided to reach the place at around 1030am to avoid the expected big crowd at noon. The restaurant is on the 7th storey. To reach the place, you either take the very old cranky lift or you can exercise a bit by taking the stairs. My brother and I took the stairs because the lift was very slow and we thought we should let the older pple take the lift first. We walked up the stairs and to our shock, the queue started from 5th floor! We went up to the restaurant and the queue didn't stop by the entrance. It went all the way inside the restaurant even! In the end, we decided to come another time instead. This is not the way to celebrate Mother's Day. If we were to queue, I think it would take at least 2 hours to get to the restaurant.

~ 13 May 2007

Rating: 3
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

• Updated May 13, 2007

y_lyn Lives Here!

“~ Today is a sunny day :) Where to go next?”

Have you been to Singapore?